As people think of whey protein powder, they immediately think of muscle building. After all, protein is the main requirement to produce more muscle mass in the body. Failing to have all the required protein, a person will not be able to build more muscle mass. However, all the other benefits of protein powders get easily overlooked. Let us evaluate the key benefits to including whey protein powder in your diet in order to understand how the supplement works.
Kinds of Whey
It is imperative to realize that not all kinds of whey protein powder are made equal. Every variety has its unique make-up so it is better to pick the right variety based upon your goals.
- Whey protein isolate- This variation has the greatest protein concentration that comes in at 90% to 95%. It is said to have less cholesterol, carbohydrates, lactose, calories and fat than other proteins in the market.
- Whey protein concentrate-It is considered as the most economical and efficient form of protein. It is micro-filtered and not treated through heat to produce very pure protein. Also, it is rich in both glutamine and BCAA making it the ideal protein to help in building muscle definition and size as well as aiding recovery.
- Hydrolyzed whey protein- This is a broken-down version of whey which is easier on the digestive system and provides muscle-friendly protein in the body quickly for faster recovery.
- Undenatured whey concentrate- This boosts glutathione levels naturally and safely by supplying body cells with vital bonded cysteine molecules important to produce glutathione.
Benefits of Whey Protein
- Immunity- Whey protein supports for a healthy immune system. Whey in concentrations of up to 10% to 15% contains the antibody immunoglobulin.
- Heart health-One main issue in supporting the health of the heart is ensuring low intake of saturated fat and controlled blood pressure. Taking whey protein is s believed to help in producing high levels of HDL or good cholesterol.
- Better weight control-Maintaining a healthy body composition and weight is the major priority of the majority of people and this can be accomplished by including whey protein powder in one’s diet.
There are some benefits of using New Zealand whey protein aside from meeting your protein requirements. With the many varieties and flavors available these days, it is a popular supplement that must be added to the diet for overall wellbeing and health.