Skin is an important organ of your body. There are three layers of your skin. It is not possible to take care of the inner layers of the skin. However, the outermost layer of the skin (also called the epidermis) is what you can take care of. The skin performs some crucial functions of your body. Hence it is important that you maintain a rigorous and regular skincare routine.
Skincare is important because the skin performs some crucial metabolic functions. The most important functions performed by the skin are:
- The skin acts as a protective layer and protects the body from ultraviolet rays, different kinds of germs and damage from external mechanical factors.
- It is through the skin that you can feel pressure, touch, and change in temperature, and pain.
- Skin synthesizes different components in the body to form vitamin D from sunlight that is needed for skeletal development.
- Skin also helps in the excretion process through perspiration (composed of ammonia, urea, and water).
- Skin also provides mechanical support by helping the body muscles to move and stretch.
- Skin also helps the body to maintain an optimum temperature through sweating (to reduce body temperature) and shivering (to increase body temperature).
How to take care of skin?
The first step would be toidentify your skin type. There are four skin types: oily, dry, sensitive, normal and combination. After this, you must choose your skincare products accordingly. For different types of skin,there isa different range of products that you can choose from. For oily skin, gel based products are preferable, while for dry skin cream based products are more useful.
Try not to touch your skin very frequently as your hands are touching various objects and extracting dirt and germs that get passed onto your face. This can lead to pimples and acne. You must wash your face at least twice a day and your hands with antiseptic soap and warm water. Never prick your pimples. It adversely affects your skin as it creates blotches and marks on the skin.
Maintaining a daily skincare routine of cleansing, toning and moisturizing are very important. You must clean your face once in the morning and once at night before you go off to sleep. Apply a toner and moisturizer before going to sleep. During the night the moisturizer is absorbed deep into the skin and it helps you to keep a glow unblemished skin.